This online education refresher course is suitable for experienced nurses who are certified to administer medication in their country of registration.
This course is NOT appropriate for nurses who are not certified to administer medication in their country of registration, nor for Disability Care Workers, PCAs, or Aged Care Attendants. We advise these workers to seek advice from their employers as which competencies are required and where they are to be obtained.
We present this course for nurses using clinical scenarios that requires the participant to recognise safe and unsafe practice. Although extremely important, the ability to calculate medication doses accurately is only one of many factors that lead to safe practice in medication administration. The drug calculation section is a review of the formulae in common calculations, rather than an intensive maths skills course. This course uses the same scenario as our Acute Care version, however the acute care version includes an additional section on IV calculations which this course omits.
At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Relate the five rights of drug administration to clinical examples.
- State common factors that can lead to medication errors.
- Recognise unsafe drug administration practices.
- Recognise inappropriate or unclear orders.
- Identify appropriate actions to minimise risk of medication errors.
- Calculate accurate drug dosages using appropriate formulae.
- Reflect upon own practices in drug administration.
This informative and enjoyable online course is suitable for nurses who want to refresh their knowledge in this area.
The existing guidelines on accreditation of CPD providers in Singapore do not recognise international CPD providers, however nurses that participate in online learning may be able to make an individual claim for CPD, which is approved at the discretion the nursing board of Singapore.
In order to claim international study as CPD a nurse should provide the following to the nursing board of Singapore:
- the course outline (which we provide above) and
- the certificate of completion (provided at the end of every The Skilled Nurse course)