This online education refresher course is suitable for experienced nurses who are certified to administer medication in their country of registration.
This course is NOT appropriate for nurses who are not certified to administer medication in their country of registration, nor for Disability Care Workers, PCAs, or Aged Care Attendants. We advise these workers to seek advice from their employers as which competencies are required and where they are to be obtained.
This second medication administration course is designed to build on our first Drug Administration course. This course is designed to assist the nurse in understanding the different drug forms and the implications this has on daily practice in the ward. One area that this course focuses on is “Can I crush this drug?”. Other important considerations related to drugs and older adults are also discussed. As with the first drug administration course, a section on drug calculations is included. This acute care course includes a section on IV calculations, if this is not required or outside your scope of practice then please use Safe Medication Administration 2 – Residential Care.
At the completion of this course, participants will be able to:
- Appreciate the nurses' role in quality use of medicines.
- Describe the four phases of pharmacokinetics.
- Identify factors that can affect the absorption of medications.
- Identify oral medications that should not be cut or crushed and briefly explain the rationale.
- Outline the physiological factors that can alter drug pharmacokinetics in the older person.
- Calculate accurate drug dosages using appropriate formulae.
This informative and enjoyable online course is suitable for nurses who want to refresh their knowledge in this area.
The existing guidelines on accreditation of CPD providers in Singapore do not recognise international CPD providers, however nurses that participate in online learning may be able to make an individual claim for CPD, which is approved at the discretion the nursing board of Singapore.
In order to claim international study as CPD a nurse should provide the following to the nursing board of Singapore:
- the course outline (which we provide above) and
- the certificate of completion (provided at the end of every The Skilled Nurse course)